The YMCA Summer Work Student Exchange (SWSE) program is accepting applications for this summer’s experience!
Available in most major urban centres across Canada, participants (ages 16 and 17) in the program get a six-week work experience in another province where they will live with a host family in the community and work in their second official language. Youth participants are supported by YMCA staff throughout the summer and participate in planned activities in small groups. This summer, up to 632 participants will be accepted and supported by 117 YMCA staff nationally.
Why apply? Participants get the chance to:
- Improve their second official language skills (French or English)
- Gain a positive work experience (for almost half, this will be a first work experience)
- Develop their own identity
- Improve their knowledge of another region in Canada and another culture
- Build positive relationships with YMCA staff, host families, new employers, and other youth from across the country
The SWSE program is led by the YMCA of Greater Toronto in partnership with the YMCA of Greater Vancouver, YMCAs of Québec, and YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth, and is funded by the Department of Canadian Heritage. For more information, please visit www.summer-work.com.