Contest Rules and Prizes
YMCA Canada 2017 LocalMOTION Contest
1. These contest rules (“Rules”) govern the LocalMOTION Contest (the “Contest”) which is sponsored by YMCA Canada (the national not-for-profit organization, the “Sponsor”). By participating in the Contest, you are deemed to have read and accepted these Rules. If you do not agree with these Rules, do not participate in the Contest.
2. The Contest begins at 12:00a.m. EST on Monday February 20, 2017 and closes at 11:59 p.m. EST on Monday July 31, 2017 (the “Contest Period”).
3. The Contest is open to legal residents of Canada. Employees of the Sponsor or of any of its local YMCA Member Associations, employees of the Sponsor’s advertising and promotional agencies or of VIA Rail (the prize supplier) and all of their “Immediate Family members” (defined for the purposes of these Rules to be all persons with whom any of these individuals are domiciled as well as any spouse, child or parent that does not live with the person) are not eligible to enter the Contest. Volunteers of the Sponsor or of local YMCA Member Associations across Canada and their household members are not eligible to enter the Contest.
4. Minors: For entrants who are younger than the age of majority in his/her province or territory of residence, that entrant must have a parent or legal guardian authorize and submit the Registration (Step One, below) and authorize any subsequent Entries (Step Two, below). Contact information will be required for the parent/guardian and the Sponsor may contact the parent/guardian to confirm his/her consent to the minor’s participation in the Contest, compliance with these Contest Rules and any related matters. In the event that a minor is a potential Winner under one of the random draws, his/her parent or legal guardian (as identified in the Registration) will be deemed to be the potential Winner, and that adult will be required to correctly answer the skill-testing question, complete and sign the Release (below) and accept the Prize on behalf of the minor.
HOW TO ENTER
5. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
6. Step One: Register to participate in the Contest online at www.ymca.ca/LocalMOTION (the “Contest Site”). As an alternative form of registration, print a registration form from the Contest Site or collect one in person from the Sponsor’s Toronto office. Complete the registration form and mail to the Sponsor at: YMCA Canada 1867 Yonge Street, Suite 601 Toronto ON M4S 1Y5. To be eligible the registration form must be received by the Sponsor at least two (2) business days before the end of the month for applicable Monthly Draws, or the end of the Contest Period. Each Registration form entitles the Entrant to one (1) Entry in the Contest, which will qualify for the one (1) specific Monthly Draw that applies for the applicable registration date, but is not eligible for the Grand Prize Draw. To submit additional Entries or be eligible for the Grand Prize Draw, follow Step Two.
7. Step Two: Participate in one or more of our LocalMOTION Challenges (a “Challenge”) and confirm completion of the Challenge using social media, e.g. Twitter or Instagram. Your account must be PUBLIC in order for your Entries to be eligible. Each eligible posting in response to a Challenge constitutes an “Entry” for the calendar month during which it is completed (but only for that month), and will also be entered for the Grand Prize Draw. Entries are limited to one per person, per Challenge. For example, a Challenge may be to eat an apple, and the Entry will consist of a photo that you post of yourself eating an apple, using the requested hashtag phrase.
8. For Entries submitted by minors, that child’s parent or legal guardian must read and agree with these Contest Rules and will be required to authorize all Entries, as well as to authorize and submit the Registration. If your parent or legal guardian does not consent, your Registration and any Entries will be disqualified. The Sponsor will require contact information for your legal guardian, and may contact your parent or legal guardian confirming his/her consent to your participation in the Contest and the collection of personal information as set out in these Rules for the purpose of administering the Contest.
THE PRIZES: MONTHLY PRIZES AND GRAND PRIZES
9. Monthly Prizes: There will be ten (10) monthly prizes (“Monthly Prizes”), each consisting of a $1,000 travel voucher from Via Rail Canada to be used for rail passenger travel within Canada.
10. Grand Prizes: There will be two (2) grand prizes (the “Grand Prizes”), each consisting of a one-way VIA Rail trip for four (4) people from Toronto to Vancouver, or Vancouver to Toronto, including seats, sleeping accommodations and meals on the train, valued at approximately $13,500 for each Grand Prize. Note that the return trip is not included and that these Prizes cannot be exchanged for any vouchers or for cash.
11. Random Draws:
a. The winners of the ten (10) Monthly Prizes will be determined by a series of ten (10) random draws held on five (5) draw dates. Monthly Draw dates from among all eligible entries received up to 11:59 pm ET on the last day of the previous calendar month (or months, for the first draw) will be held approximately five (5) business days after the end of the month. Anticipated draw dates are: Monday April 7; Monday May 5; Thursday June 7; Tuesday July 10; and Tuesday August 8. Winners of one Monthly Prize will not be eligible for another monthly draw, but are eligible for the Grand Prize draw, and will receive more entries into the Grand Prize draw by submitting additional Entries for other Challenges.
b. The winners of the two (2) Grand Prizes will be determined by two (2) random draws, held from among all eligible entries (including the winners of the Monthly Prizes whose Entries will also be included for the final Grand Prizes Draw) received during the entire Contest Period, approximately ten (10) business days after the end of the Contest Period, anticipated to be on Wednesday August 15th.
c. In each case, the random draws from among all eligible entries for that draw will be held at approximately 10 am ET at the Sponsor’s office address.
d. The potential winners will be notified by direct message to the social media account or by email to the email address used in the Registration and Entry. The Sponsor will make these contacts during business hours, not later than two (2) business days after the draw. If no response from the potential winner is received by the Sponsor after at least three attempts within two (2) business days, the potential winner will be disqualified and another will be selected by another random draw.
12. When contacted, arrangements will be made for a phone call, and each potential winner will be required to: confirm legal guardian consent if potential winner is a minor in which case the legal guardian will act as the potential winner; correctly answer a skill testing question over the phone; confirm the email address to which the Sponsor will send a standard release form. The potential winner will then be required to complete and sign a standard release form (“Release”) that will: a) confirm the Winner’s eligibility and compliance with these Contest Rules, including the grant of the right to use the Winner’s name, place of residence and likeness in connection with the Sponsor’s marketing of its services and programs; b) confirm acceptance of the Prize as awarded; and c) releasing the Releasees (defined below) from all liability related to the Contest or any Prize. If the potential winner cannot be contacted, does not does not correctly answer the skill-testing question, or does not submit the completed and signed Release by the specified deadline, that potential winner will be disqualified and another will be selected by another random draw. The process will be repeated as necessary until a Winner is selected for each Prize.
13. For all Prizes, travel must be completed before the close of business for VIA Rail Canada on August 31, 2018. Travel is subject to the schedules, availability and all applicable limitations and rules of VIA Rail Canada. The Winner and traveling companion(s) will be responsible for all costs not covered by the Prize as described in these Contest Rule. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, exclusions from the Monthly Prizes include travel from their respective residence(s) to the closest VIA Rail station and travel home again after the travel covered by the Prize; parking at the station; accommodations, meals and drinks other than those covered by the voucher; any alcohol on board; other personal expenses, including all travel and medical insurance, gratuities, incidentals and all other expenses not specifically included. Exclusions from the Grand Prizes: travel from their respective residence(s) to the Toronto or Vancouver VIA Rail station that is the starting point for the Grand Prize travel; return travel home, after the one-way trip as described herein; parking at any VIA station; accommodations, meals and drinks other than those covered by the trip package and consumed on the train; any alcohol on board; other personal expenses, including all travel and medical insurance, gratuities, incidentals and all other expenses not specifically included. Winner and traveling companion(s) must travel together and depart from the same VIA Rail station. Travel must be completed by August 31, 2018. Travel restrictions, including cabin availability and certain blackout dates apply, as determined by VIA Rail Canada in its sole discretion.
14. All prizes must be accepted as awarded. Prizes are not transferable. Prizes may not be redeemable for cash value. No prize substitutions.
15. The Sponsor, its affiliates, VIA Rail Canada and their respective advertising and promotional agencies (“Releasees”) assume no liability for injury or death directly or indirectly associated with the Contest, any of the challenges, the draws or acceptance of any Prize. The Releasees are not responsible for any loss, theft, or misuse of the Prize or any injury or damage associated with the use of a Prize.
ODDS OF WINNING
16. The odds of winning a Prize depend on the total number of eligible entries received during the applicable month for a Monthly Prize, or during the entire Contest Period for a Grand Prize.
18. All Entries become the property of the Sponsor and none will be returned. The Sponsor is not responsible for any Entries that may be lost, stolen or misdirected or for any errors, damage or negligence that may arise in connection with the Contest, including technical or communication failures. Each entrant understands that the Internet is not a secure medium and agrees that the Sponsor shall not be liable for any error, omission, interruption, defect injury or damage caused to an Entry, Entrant or Entrant’s equipment, regardless of the cause. In the event of any uncertainty or dispute, the Entrant will be deemed to be the natural person who is assigned the e-mail address, text or phone number, or social media account used for the Entry, as assigned by the Internet service provider, telecommunications service, or social media service provider. By submitting an Entry, the Entrant grants to the Sponsor the unrestricted right, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion, to produce, reproduce, publish, broadcast, communicate by telecommunication, exhibit, distribute, adapt and otherwise use and re-use the Entry, including any photographs submitted in connection with that Entry, in connection with the Sponsor’s administration of the Contest, its marketing of its various services and programs or otherwise, during the Contest Period and at any time thereafter in all media now known or hereafter devised. Each Entrant hereby confirms that he/she is the creator or owner of any photograph or other creative work (a “Work”) submitted in connection with an Entry, that such Work shall not consist of or contain anything that infringes the copyright or other rights of any third party or that is defamatory, and that he/she has obtained the consent of any other persons who appear in such Work. The Sponsor retains the right to exclude any Entry due to concerns about a Work and the potential for violation of third party privacy rights, copyright or any other right, as determined by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion. By entering the Contest, each Entrant releases and holds the Releasees harmless from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind to the Entrant, a guest, or any other person, including personal injury, death, or property damage of any kind resulting in whole or in part from participation in the Contest, any Prize or any Prize-related activity. The Entrant agrees to fully indemnify Releasees from any and all claims by third parties relating to the Contest, without limitation.
20. In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between these Contest Rules, the Release, the Contest Site, disclosures and other contest-related materials in English and in French, the English-language versions shall prevail, govern and control.
21. The Contest is governed by the laws of Ontario and laws of Canada applicable therein and is void where prohibited. With respect to residents of the province of Quebec, any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of this contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeus (“Rėgie”) for a ruling, and any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Rėgie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement. With respect to residents of other provinces or territories, any dispute relating to the Contest shall be adjudicated in the courts located in Toronto, Ontario.
We're giving away awesome prizes, including:
Monthly Prizes: There will be two monthly prizes per month, each consisting of a $1,000 travel voucher from VIA Rail Canada to be used for rail passenger travel within Canada.
Grand Prizes: There will be two grand prizes, each consisting of a one-way VIA Rail trip for four people from Toronto to Vancouver, or Vancouver to Toronto, including seats, sleeping accommodations and meals on the train, valued at approximately $13,500 for each Grand Prize. Note that the return trip is not included and that these Prizes cannot be exchanged for any vouchers or for cash.